If you cannot bear the thought of sweating through another summer again or do not want to freeze through the upcoming winter, it is probably time for you to invest in a good air conditioning system. However, with so many options in the market, how do you even begin to choose one that suits you?
Here is our quick guide to help you find the best air conditioner for your home.
Firstly, these are the three main types of air conditioning systems commonly used for homes in Melbourne:
1. Split System Air Conditioning
Split systems are designed for heating and cooling individual areas in your home. For example, you may only want to air condition the kids’ rooms or bedrooms, or perhaps the living area where the family spends most time in.
A split system has two parts – an indoor unit and an outdoor unit. The indoor unit is usually wall mounted but can also be a compact floor-standing unit, while the outdoor unit or compressor is installed outside the house.
Benefits of a split system include:
- Lower upfront costs as you are only buying and installing one unit at a time
- More economical because it uses less energy compared to some of the other systems
- You get to select the rooms that you want to air condition
- New models often come with great features and functions, including air purification modes
2. Multi Split Air Conditioning
Multi split systems, like split systems, come with an indoor unit and an outdoor unit. However, a multi split system allows you to run multiple indoor units (usually up to 5 rooms) with just one outside compressor.
This system is ideal if you want to cool or heat several rooms in your home but do not have space for ducted air conditioning. You also get to choose which rooms to air condition, as well as the type of indoor unit for each room (wall mounted, floor standing, cassette type, etc.).
Benefits of a multi split system include:
- You can choose different indoor units to suit each room’s design and decor
- Gives you maximum comfort with minimum running costs
- Saves on outdoor space since there is only one compressor to be installed
- Separate controls allow you to control the climate in each room individually
3. Ducted Air Conditioning
Ducted air conditioning systems are a great all-in-one climate control solution if you want to heat or cool your entire home. Although the upfront costs may be higher than the other systems, it can be more efficient and economical in the long run.
Ducted systems come with an outdoor unit that is either mounted on the roof or positioned discreetly outside the home, and an indoor unit that is installed in the ceiling or under the floor.
Benefits of a ducted air conditioning system include:
- It is not as intrusive as the other systems, as only the controller and grilles are visible inside your home
- Easily control the temperature in the entire home from one thermostat
- You can add zone control to enjoy flexibility and increase energy efficiency
- Having ducted air conditioning can increase the value of your home
Other considerations to keep in mind when purchasing an air conditioner
Besides knowing the types of air conditioning systems available, there are other things to consider when deciding on an air conditioner for your home:
a) The capacity required
What is the size of the space you want to heat or cool? Generally, an air conditioner needs at least 80W of power per square meter in a room, but that depends on several factors. Read more about air conditioner sizes here.
You can easily see an air conditioner’s efficiency through the Energy Rating label on the unit. The more stars a unit has, the more efficient it is compared to other similar-sized models.
Some technological terms you should be familiar with when shopping for your air conditioner:
- Reverse cycle systems have both heating and cooling capabilities
- Inverter technology allows the air conditioner to deliver a constant airflow, which helps regulate temperature and increase energy efficiency
- Smart air conditioners can connect to your home network, so you can easily control them via apps on your mobile phones or tablets
Our team at Total Electrics & Air-Conditioning is able to provide expert advice to help you find the best air conditioning solution that will fit your budget and lifestyle. Get in touch on (03) 9729 0894 or get a fast free quote today.